Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I am currently a Barnet Council Tenant with a non-secure

Customer Question

I am currently a Barnet Council Tenant with a non-secure tenancy. I paid rent arrears on the 17th December and forwarded an email on the same day. Barnet then sent me a notice to quit on the same day and said it was because in the last 6 months I never paid by rent in advance. I told them that since I have moved in to my property I have always paid a month in arrears which I had agreed with my first rent officer.
They are still proceeding with the notice to quit, is there anything I can do.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Do you have proof of paying in arrears and have you been consistent in paying in arrears on the same day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always paid at the end of the month.

The fact that you can prove the basis of how you have always paid will show to the court that you are consistent in this - you will say because this is what you were told. I would formally write to the council and stress this point. That they have thus erred in their position. Happy to discuss further. Please rate positive