Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

The property maintenance company took down our satellite

Customer Question

Hi. The property maintenance company took down our satellite dish. Is that allowed? We use the dish to receive religious broadcasts and to allow our children to learn their mother tongue.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did you need their permission to install it in the first place and where was it placed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben. Thank you. I asked for landlord authorisation which I positively received. The dish was placed outside on the wall just above our window. We rent a ground floor flat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to go now. I'll be back in 30-45 mins.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Whilst you may have received landlord authorisation, you need to be sure that they could have given you such authorisation. The landlord may have the right to authorise things related to their specific property, but not necessarily in relation to the outside of the building or communal areas, which may require the consent of all owners. This will all be contained in the lease of the property which should be checked. So the issue is that landlord’s consent may not have been sufficient if the lease required all owners of the building to consent to it. In these circumstances the property management copy could remove it if it breached the lease. Taking action against the landlord would only be possible if they had specifically misled you by saying that their consent was all that was required or that you did not need further consent. But their ignorance would not be sufficient and only if you had specifically asked them about what the requirements were and they had then given you the incorrect information. Of course in the meantime there is nothing stopping you from trying to get the required consent as needed and you should ask to see the lease to satisfy yourself about what is actually needed.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.