Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My son and s girlfriend rent a private flat in London 3

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend rent a private flat in London 3 weeks ago they were burgled and the bedroom window was kicked in the landlord eventually got the window boarded up but has done nothing since . yesterday his girlfriend disturbed the burglers again as they had kicked in the boarding the landlord is still not taking this seriously can he withhold his rent till the window is replaced
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Your son and his girlfriend have no right to withhold the rent, but they do have a right to use the rent monies and repair the bedroom window and to fix it up so that it is secure. This is because a tenant is allowed to deduct the costs of reasonable repairs from the rent he is paying. So here your son should be a builder or some handyman to come bye and repair the window and then deduct the monies paid from his rental payments. Be sure he keeps a receipt so that it is clear to the landlord how much was paid. In these circumstances, the law gives a self-help remedy, not one of withholding rent.