How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living in a property let by my employers. Do they have

Customer Question

Hello, I am living in a property let by my employers. Do they have to issue a S21 notice before eviction can take place. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello - do you live there as part of your job (ie for the better performance of your duties?) Best, WB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello - thanks. It sounds like what you have is an occupational licence, rather than an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. This is similar to a tenancy, but it is essentially a requirement to occupy a flat or house as part of your job, so you can perform your duties better. For example, Gamekeepers who get a cottage on the estate or pub managers living in the flat above the pub fall into this, in most cases. Where this applies, there is not a tenancy, but simply a licence. The landlord / employer is therefore not obliged to serve a section 21 notice to get possession. He simply has to terminate the licence - if the house was a condition of your contract employment, he can do this be varying your contract (normally with consent) or by terminating your employment. Sorry if this isn't good news for you. Best, WB

Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Please leave a rating. Best, wb

Related UK Property Law Questions