wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
22732369

I am living in a property let by my employers. Do they have

Customer Question

Hello, I am living in a property let by my employers. Do they have to issue a S21 notice before eviction can take place. Thank you
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello - do you live there as part of your job (ie for the better performance of your duties?) Best, WB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am

Hello - thanks. It sounds like what you have is an occupational licence, rather than an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. This is similar to a tenancy, but it is essentially a requirement to occupy a flat or house as part of your job, so you can perform your duties better. For example, Gamekeepers who get a cottage on the estate or pub managers living in the flat above the pub fall into this, in most cases. Where this applies, there is not a tenancy, but simply a licence. The landlord / employer is therefore not obliged to serve a section 21 notice to get possession. He simply has to terminate the licence - if the house was a condition of your contract employment, he can do this be varying your contract (normally with consent) or by terminating your employment. Sorry if this isn't good news for you. Best, WB

Hello. Please leave a rating. Best, wb