Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am a student. I have just moved into a flat after having

Customer Question

I am a student. I have just moved into a flat after having signed a rental agreement. I checked the inventory with the letting agent and noted things that needed doing.However the landlord has let me down by seeing to the things I asked to be done
leaving the flat dirty with a very bad smell from the toilet/shower area, grime behind the toilet, slugs on the floor, broken furniture and fittings
leaving the former tenant's belongings in the flat
rubbish bins in front of my windows obviously not emptied in ages, filled with dirty rain water
When I contacted the letting agent about these problems, including photos, he said the landlord had agreed to sort out these problems.
Nothing happened except some of the former tenant's clothes were removed
I would like to know first if I am right to send the landlord a bill for the cleaners I had to get in to get rid of the dirt (though much of the dirt remains, and the bad smell), or deduct the cost of cleaning from rent if they refuse to.
Also, am I in my rights if I say that since the landlord has not kept his side of the agreement, I will withdraw from it and leave the place without paying any further rent, and ask for return of my deposit? I'm a bit concerned that the landlord will try to say that I am exaggerating and refuse to release me from the agreement. I'd like advice as to what to do if that happens.
I sent several emails complaining but found it very difficult to get a response.
Once I was simply told that the person I needed was not in the office and nothing more
T XXXXXX
Category: UK Property Law