Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I rented a flat from an agency and I ended my contract few

Customer Question

I rented a flat from an agency and I ended my contract few days early and they agreed on the condition that I bring a new tenant which I did. They want to deduct three days from the overpaid rent for preparing the flat to the new tenant. Should i sue them for that?, Ahmed
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I gave them the notice initially at the end of July 2015, I mentioned that I have firends who are willing to take over. They said your tenancy will end on the 5th of September 2015 and you will be charged for rent up until that day if your friends failed to provide all the needed documents. My friends were able to provide all documents they needed and they informed me that the checkout day will be the 24th August 2015 and that I will be liable for rent to the 27th August to get the flat ready for the new tenant. I did not see any reason for deducting that money as they will still need those three days even if I ended my tenancy 10 days later on the contract date. I did not comment on that as they attached in the same email a check out instructions that says "Please note you will be charged rent up until and including the date of your final inspection." and another email after the checkout date that says "Accounts will verify your account but please note that you will be due rent up until your check out day". I spoke with the landlord regarding the charge of the three days and they did not mind me getting my overpaid rent at full but the agency is the one that doesn't want to. I contacted them many times but they either ignore or insisting on charging the three days.