Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Iam a tenant wih a 12 month AST subject to Special Tenancy

Customer Question

Good morning. Iam a tenant wih a 12 month AST subject to Special Tenancy Condtions. These state "Notwithstanding the onditions etc......it is agreed that if the Tenant wishes to vacate the property he must give ....not less thN 6 mo ths notice in writing to terminate PROVIDED the tenancy is not terminated becfore 6 months from the comencement date"
My question is: After 6 months from the start of the contract can I terminate the Tenancy by giving 6 months notice?
Thank you very much.
Regards
David Higginson
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

Could you please just confirm that you are wishing to end the Tenancy at the end of the fixed term (ie on the last day of the 12 month tenancy)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the prompt reply. My original request was incorrect in that I want to know if I can gjve notice to end the tenancy after 6 months and not at the end of the Tenancy. This is what the Special Condition I quoted in my email appears to say.
Are you able to confirm the correct position please?
Thanks

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Your Tenancy agreement does state that you can terminate the Tenancy before the end of the 12 month period, but only if you have given the Landlord 6 months notice of your intention to do so. So, for example, if you had wanted to end it after 6 months, you would have had to have served Notice on the Landlord on the first day of the Tenancy. If say 3 months of the Tenancy has passed now, the earliest you could end the Tenancy is after 9 months, if Notice is served now.

I hope this clarifies the legal position to you.

Kind Regards

Al

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al