Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My neighbour has applied planning permission to build an

Customer Question

My neighbour has applied for a planning permission to build an extension the rear of the house - initially by 3 metres but this has now been reduced by 1.2m. However it is still long enough that will block our access to sunlight from morning to mid-day. We have lived in our ground floor flat for over 19+ years and I would like to know if there is anyway we can take an injunction against this extension being built or at least get some compensation for the loss of light?
Thank you in advance.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Here you should liaise with your neighbour and seek to extract a payment in consideration for you withdrawing your planning objection. I regret to say that there is no such thing in English law as a "right to light". The planning process is the means whereby people's right to light is reconciled with other users rights. As you are probably aware, giant skyscrapers are built in London every year, without anyone getting compensated for their rights to light being infringed. So I regret to say that you will not be able to get an injunction to stop the development based on your right to light. Nor will you be entitled to damages, I regret to say. You will have to rely upon the planning process to uphold your right to light.