Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I'm not sure whether my home is an hmo

Customer Question

Hi Joshua I'm not sure whether my home is an hmo
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rent a house from my landlord in Waltham Forest, UK. It's a four bedroomed terraced house with a lounge. I sublet the rooms which the landlord is ok with. It's a one storey, terraced house. I let the lounge out as a bedroom. There is a kitchen, one toilet, a bathroom and a dining room. There are five of us in total. No locks on doors. No contracts between the housemates and I.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord is having to apply for a license, and through doing the paperwork has concluded that he needs to change the status of the property from residential to hmo, which will devalue the property. Is this the case? Thank you
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify what you are asking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas did you see the second part of my question? I'd like to know whether it's likely to be classed as an hmo or not thanks

The Housing Act 2004 introduced a definition of a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) from 6th April 2006 in England and 30th June 2006 in Wales. It is defined as

• An entire house or flat which is let to 3 or more tenants who form 2 or more households and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.
  • A house which has been converted entirely into bedsits or other non-self-contained accommodation and which is let to 3 or more tenants who form two or more households and who share kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities.
  • A converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self contained (ie the flat does not contain within it a kitchen, bathroom and toilet) and which is occupied by 3 or more tenants who form two or more households.
  • A building which is converted entirely into self-contained flats if the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations and more than one-third of the flats are let on short-term tenancies.
  • In order to be an HMO the property must be used as the tenants’ only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.
  • Happy to discuss - please rate positively = thanks