Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a question regarding ownership and responsibility

Customer Question

I have a question regarding ownership and responsibility for a septic tank. we bought our property three years ago and it was connected to a shared septic tank with our neighbour. The two cottages were originally owned by Abergavenny Estates who still own another two properties and various farm buildings close to us. We have just finished an extension to our property and part of the design was to come off the shared system and in a much cleaner sewage treatment plant. However the estate are currently refusing to allow us to discharge the clean water into an existing drainage field unless we pay to have it examined ( dug up) by a professional engineer. They want us to have it tested to take the capacity for all the properties in the area.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that we have only one option left which is to reconnect to the old septic tank which discharges the raw liquid effluent into an old lakebed which was filled in with rubble many years ago. The reason we spent so much money to come off this system is because this discharge is illegal and we were unhappy to continue breaking the law and also because we doubt if we will get building control sign off. The legal house purchasing documents state that the property is connected to this system. Can we reconnect knowing that the system is contrary to the existing discharge regulations?
As the septic tank is on Estate property and discharges onto Estate property who will get fined. Us or them? I should also mention that our house and the septic tank are both within 500m of both a SSSI and an Area of outstanding natural beauty. Thank and sorry for the lack of a question in my previous posting.