Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I live in a semi detached property and am having my side of

Customer Question

I live in a semi detached property and am having my side of the roof replaced. My builder will use a still saw to cut all the tiles between the two houses along the half way line and then slide a valley board 4 inches under his tiles and 4 inches on my side. This will be screwed down and the edge of his tiles and my new tiles pointed up with cement if needed. My neighbour has already spent £5000 trying to stop me building an extension 8 years ago to no avail and I know he is awkward. My builder assures me he will not even go on my neighbours roof but is there anything my neighbour can do to cause trouble and what should I do to stop this? I have already informed his wife regarding the work which will start in two days and told her verbally what is going to happen.
Thanks for your help
Tim middleton
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

As long as your builder avoids trespassing on to the neighbours property there should be nothing to worry about. The other things to ensure is that nothing overhangs on to your neighbours property. He will clearly be looking for either of these to occur so that he can raise a complaint from what you have written. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively - thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What about the 4 inches of valley board that will have to be positioned on his roof under his tiles? Can he complain about that ie trespass? If he gets his solicitor to write a letter what could it say or do you think that my builder would be able to go ahead with the work as I have outlined ie cut down the mid point line of the roofs and push the half the valley board under his tiles?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw does my 1 week free trial cover this conversation, or is it chargeable first before the trial begins? Thanks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't mean that question mark!

Technically he could complain - but I can not see too much of an issue as long as your builder's work is to a good quality. I can continue to answer questions for you but please rate positively for the answers thus far - thanks