Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Our tenants vacated a property, removed their washing

Customer Question

Our tenants vacated a property, removed their washing machine but left the washing machine taps on. The taps were attached to a hose which then drained into a sink in the laundry.
We sent an agent to do a check out report and the report made note of the leaking taps, but the agent did not turn the taps off. We have not signed off the check out report, nor return their deposit because, by chance, the tenants moved into another one of our properties and we agreed to roll over the deposit.
The first property was then empty for a couple of weeks.
During those weeks the washing machine hose dislodged and started to leak onto the floor of the laundry causing in excess of £1300 damage to carpets etc.
Who is responsible for the costs? Does the tenant remain responsible even thought the check out report noted the leaking taps?
Thanks.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I think that you would be in difficulties in bringing a claim against the tenants in these circumstances. When they left the property the taps were leaking and you were made aware of this (or your agents were made aware) and nothing was sadly done to remedy that fact. As such you would be liable for the damage.

Happy to discuss

Please rate positively

I hope this helps
Please remember to rate positively for me - thanks