Matt J
Matt J, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS)
13732703

7-10 neighbours are buying a piece of unregistered land to divide into

Customer Question

7-10 neighbours are buying a piece of unregistered land to divide into their own portions of garden land. Should we buy it as 1 person and then give out, divide and register separately? Or is it better for the seller to register it before we buy it? Is this process of buying, splitting and registering costly? It is just over an acre and costing £16k? After using a solicitor to make the purchase, can we do the registration ourselves to save cost as we have been forced down this purchase route to prevent access and any development behind our homes. Some neighbours are elderly and don't really have the money. I do feel I could take on this task if legally allowed. We have so far had a quote of £6k to buy the land and do the registration into 10 people which is out of the question. We were hoping normal purchase fees would apply up to say £1000
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will try and help
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
I will address each one in turn
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
Should we buy it as 1 person and then give out, divide and register separately? It would be better to purchase each part of the property individually. It would just incur double the registration fee if you purchase as one, and then re-transfer to the individuals. Or is it better for the seller to register it before we buy it? This would mean the complexity of the unregistered part of the process would be out of the way, but it is not necessary as long as you are comfortable with understanding the unregistered nature. Is this process of buying, splitting and registering costly? It is time consuming and so, from a solicitors point of view, time is money so yes it can be quite costly. After using a solicitor to make the purchase, can we do the registration ourselves to save cost as we have been forced down this purchase route to prevent access and any development behind our homes. Some neighbours are elderly and don't really have the money. I do feel I could take on this task if legally allowed. Yes you can. The forms for the registration are available on the Land registry website and there are guidance leaflets available. It is not simplistic (professional help is always useful, but if course if this is prohibitively expensive then you have not option) but it is doable for the layman. Be careful however, if you take the matter on yourself you will hold the liability if anything goes wrong with the process (again another thing the solicitor takes into account when costing the work). I think £6000 is too much however and would suggest you shop around for another Solicitor.
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps. Do ask any follow up questions. If you are happy then please leave positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. The question wont close and if you think of any questions later down the line you can come back to the question and post again