Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

We have recently sent this question to LondonLawyerJ on Property

Customer Question

We have recently sent this question to LondonLawyerJ on Property Law an hour or so ago. We are not sure whether it has been received so am sending it again
Our property was built around the late 1800s (Victorian). At the rear of our property is a wooden fence. The fence has 3 wooden posts each supported by a concrete pillar which ends half way up the wooden post. The slatted wood panels are placed in between. The concrete pillars are on our neighbour's side but it is quite possible that this fence was put up when there was no neighbour just Common Land. This fence existed when we purchased the property in 1999. On the other side of the fence is our neighbour's garden which runs along the bottom of our garden and two further gardens in our road. The neighbour's house was part of a development which was built some 30 years ago.
The solicitor who carried out our conveyance writes 'the rear wall may not belong to the property. In the absence of clear indications then the walls may be regarded as party walls ie jointly owned'.
Our neighbour writes 'firstly let me confirm again that my intention is to replace the fence. It is old and rotten. It is simply a case of budget and timing'. We ourselves believe the fence needs to be replaced and the dense thick ivy that destroyed the fence totally removed.
Our neighbour says she needs to think about what sort of fence to put up and she has to consult with all three immediate neighbours and then see what she can afford. We believe, on past performance, she could take another year or more before the fence can be replaced. We need to get the identical fence up before we can complete landscaping our garden.
We believe we have the right to repair this fence but as it is beyond repair replace it with an identical/like for like fence. Assuming it is either our fence or a party wall fence we believe we can reject any alternative fence and we hope we can set a time limit on the work to be carried out.
We have offered to replace the fence and dig out all the ivy at our cost. The roots are either under the fence or on the neighbour's side. Our only stipulation was that we could start the work straightaway. Our offer has been refused. Ronnie and Sue Goodchild
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
what is your question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The question is as listed above beginning 'Our property was built ......our offer has been refused.' London Lawyer J says that he will answer either today or tomorrow. Is this still the situation?

Sue Goodchild

I will leave fro him as I can not actually see a question Susan