Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have bought an end of terrace house of which there is an ally to th

Customer Question

We have bought an end of terrace house of which there is an ally to the side of our house which belong to ourselves however we have to provide access to the property attached to us number 86.
On the other side of the alley there is a property that is being used to home people with disabilities number 82. Nothing severe just people who cannot live by themselves however we have noticed that they have a door on their fence which leads into our property (the alley).
We are only concerned as we were thinking of speaking to our neighbours (number 86) to remove their access and extend our garden. However we have found out the the property which is not noted on the deeds as having access (number 82) is currently using our alley as a fire escape route.
Are they able to do this without our permission?
(1) Whether your neighbour (number 82) can use your alleyway as a fire escape; and if we can block it off before they get rights to have access.
(2) What procedure to follow to remove
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
continued .... (2) What procedure to follow to remove your neighbour’s (number 86) access rights from your title. Can we purchase this off them since they don’t use this if so what would a reasonable fee be since we own the land they just have access. (I believe I have read the deeds correctly?)Also how would we go about gaining / removing our next doors access rights how would you suggest approaching them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also if they should not have a fence with a gate leading on to my ally can I block it off? they are currently using it as a fire exit as I say it a home for people who cant live independantly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also this is for a property in the uk we are talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
84 IS OUR PROPERTY
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
How long have they been using it?