wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
22732369

My uncle has been using a field 10 years, in

Customer Question

Hello my uncle has been using a field for horses for over 10 years, in that time no-one has bothered with it. He has repaired fences etc. can he claim it?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Do you know if the land is registered at Land Registry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the field is registered with the Land Registry
Thanks. He can now apply to register the land in his name, provided he has exclusively occupied the land for 10 years or more and hasn't paid rent, had permission or acknowledged the paper owner's title. He'll need to contact his local Land Registry office (Google will help here!) and ask about procedure, but generally there's a form to fill in and send to Land Registry, and he'll need to do a statement setting out his occupation and use of the land in support of the claim. Once a prima facie claim is established, Land Registry will notify the paper owner. If they don't respond within 3 weeks, the land will be registered to your uncle. If they do respond, they can effectively refuse to allow your uncle to have the land. This may also lead to them demanding he leaves the land, so there is some risk to the process. Hope this helps, WB
Hello - please leave a rating or JA won't pay me for assisting you. Best, WB.
Hello. Please leave a rating. Thanks, WB.