Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We bought a Grade II listed house in a conservation area in

Customer Question

We bought a Grade II listed house in a conservation area in December 2012. Recently a planning officer come to the house whilst we were on holiday; we spoke to him on return and was told our 10’ by 8’ shed “as a result of being in the curtilage of a listed
and under the requirements of Article 4” our shed is “unauthorised and should be removed” but that we do have the right to submit a planning application. We purchased the house from a very old gentleman whose family had lived here for two or three generations.
The gentleman has had a shed in the garden for many years; I believe it would be possible to get a photograph going back to the 1970’s. Our shed is a replacement of the previous owners and stands on the exact spot that it was before, on a concrete base laid
in the 70’s. My question is does the shed need planning permission if it was erected before Article 4 came into effect? And also when did Article 4 become law? Thank you for your help Amanda xxxx
Category: UK Property Law