Matt J
Matt J, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS)
13732703

I understand that a Tenant does not have the right in Law to

Customer Question

I understand that a Tenant does not have the right in Law to withhold rent claiming problems with the property they occupy. What I need to know is the actual reference to this in Law presumably the Landlord and Tenant legislation. I do not require generalisations
as I need to accurately quote why they are legally not entitled to do so.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will try and help. There isn't actually any legislation dictating rent payments should be made. It is a matter of contract under the form of a lease. it is the agreement between the parties that dictates that rent needs to be paid, and that no offset can be made. If it isn't then the tenant has breached the terms of their lease and possession proceedings can be brought
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
I hope that helps but do please ask any follow up questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I replied to you before. There is some confusion at your end as another solicitor had already answered my question.
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
I have not had the reply. I will check with customer services. Has your query been dealt with to your satisfaction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have twice replied to you. There is some confusion on your side. My question has already been answered by another solicitor from Just Answer. Please acknowledge.
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
Noted thanks.