Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Major Incident caused by a water utilities

Customer Question

Water utilities broke a pipe causing thousands of meters of water to escape under my property. It took 3months to repair. Both The water co and my water company are saying that minimal damage has effected my property and that all that is needed is the replacement of floors and warped woodwork as the pipes which they split run underground. Because of this incident co my insurance policy quote has more than doubled.Re my house, I am worried that this could affect my home in future.Reports: The water company have carefully reported via their own surveyors that there is no further damage underneath and if there is it is the fault of the damp proof course...Can I sue for the rise in future policies and do I have any comeback should my house collapse in the future?Do I have any come back on the water companies survey report should anything happen to the building?Should I allow the water company to fix all the warped doors woodwork and flooring or the insurance company to reinstate or engage my own builders and recover the costs in doing so?How long can this claim remain open ? Will it affect my future policy? Current policy runs out in August.Can I also sue the previous owner as I have been informed by loss adjusters that this property had a claim opened just before I purchased it but the owners did not go through with it and quickly sold afterwards. I bought the house a few years ago and strangely the seller did send me a message saying "I hope the house is behaving itself"Please help
Category: UK Property Law