Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Myself and four other people are renting a flat in east London

Customer Question

Myself and four other people are renting a flat in east London through a letting agent. The letting agent has been totally unreasonable about trying to charge us for fixing things that broke through no fault of anyone in the property, for example a burst pipe, no hot water etc. We've always disputed charges that we thought have been unfair. It's coming to the end of our lease and he's just done an inspection and had said that because of the disputes on charges and "constantly" fixing things (again through no fault of ours) that we've been trouble tenants. This is far from the truth, we pay rent on time every month, keep the place in good condition, but when something breaks down we call them to fix it, that's the "trouble". I'm worried now that the agents are now going to give us a bad reference and make finding somewhere else difficult. Do we have any options here? I feel totally helpless.
Karen
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
Is the deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Firstly unless it specifically states so in the lease you are being charged for repairs which are normally the responsibility of the landlord. The agent is not allowed to provide a misleading reference. If he does then you could potentially sue him. People have to be very sensible and careful when providing these types of references.i would certainly take photos of the property prior to leaving it as you may have to provide evidence to the TDS to get your deposits back.