wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
22732369

I have lived in my property years, the development has

Customer Question

I have lived in my property for 8 years, the development has been here 12 years. We have asked for a conservatory on the back of the house. The council have no problem with this providing we keep in style with the property. We are being blocked by residents and management company (also a resident) who have voted no. I was wondering if a convenant has any time limit that in the the future I may still be able to go ahead with my plans? Thankyou in advance Tina
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Is your property freehold or leasehold please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it's freehold
Thankyou
Thanks. I'm afraid I don't have good news. These covenants are part of what is called a "building scheme". They regulate what can and can't be done on estates like yours; the idea being to maintain a certain standardised look or feel to the estate as originally envisaged by the developer. Sadly, this means that if the management company (which regulates covenants and consents etc) will not allow you to build a conservatory which would otherwise be in breach of the covenant, then you won't be able to do this. Equally, you benefit from these covenants as against your neighbours. Sorry it is not better news - you could be sued and made to take the conservatory down if you proceed. Best, WB