Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

If a claimant lies under oath in a civil claim is there a

Customer Question

if a claimant lies under oath in a civil claim is there a time limit for bringing a case of perverting the course of justice
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If this is a civil claim then perverting the course of justice doesn't apply as this is not the course of public justice.
It may be perjury and that is not subject to time barring but that can only be done by the Court or the police rather than by request of a member of the public.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i meant perjury. when you say it can only be done by the court or the police, what do you mean?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to express it differently. The police will not prosecute upon your complaint. It has to be referred by the court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
who brings it to the attention of the court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Usually a perjury is obvious.
It is not easy to prove that. It cannot be done by another witness merely alleging a perjury.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i was the defendant?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is very unlikely it is going to be prosecuted I'm afraid. It happens if you are lucky in one in a thousand cases and usually it is against a witness who is somebody that really should know better like a police officer.