Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I own 50% of a shared ownership property. I have to move as

Customer Question

I own 50% of a shared ownership property. I have to move as we had a baby and need space. If I illegally sub-let the flat we can rent a bigger flat in a less affluent area. Selling is not an option as we could not buy anything of the size we need and it would take us off the housing ladder that we have taken 10 years to get on . . . only option is for us to illegally sublet . . .what is the worst the housing could do? association could do
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
The starting point is to check the terms of the agreement which you entered into with the housing association over the shared ownership. If it prohibited that you can sublet then you could find your self in breach and they could make an application to the court for possession. It is often sensible to try and speak with them and reach an agreement before taking a tenant.
Please rate