Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was given a sec21 notice to quit by the 8th of August 2015.

Customer Question

I was given a sec21 notice to quit by the 8th of August 2015. I have been on a monthly rolling contract, do I still need to give a months notice if I want to leave before the date on the sec 21? For instance, I plan to leave on the 10th of July
Thanks
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am sorry but you do.
At least, you can go any time you like but you will still be liable for the rent unless you serve notice upon your landlord to expire earlier than his notice.
His notice is only a notification that you are no longer staying with his consent after the date in question. It doesn't allow you to leave early.
However, he may well agree to release you early as clearly he wants the property.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo for your prompt response. It's just that I was hoping that I wouldn't have to give a month's notice because I am trying to avoid having to pay a rent and my first month's mortgage at the same time as my purchase has just come through and we've only just agreed on a completion date. Thanks anyway
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you asked your landlord then?
Quite often they will agree because they are keen to get back into the property. August is the minimum notice period he can give so he might be delighted to let you go early.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..I will
Thanks a lot
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/