Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

We moved into a 2 bedroom apartment on 15 March 2015. At

Customer Question

Hi, We moved into a 2 bedroom apartment on 15 March 2015. At that point we discovered there was a leak in the bedroom and the bedroom has since then been under construction. It has been inhabitable for now 15 weeks. We are claiming a rent abatement of
225 pounds per week, as this is the half of the total rent. However, now our agency claims that we have made an agreement of 200 pounds rent abatement. We have never agreed to this, and everything we do agree to we make sure to have it confirmed in writing
as we know how letting agencies operate. The agency does not have any proof and cannot even specify when exactly we were supposed to agree to this. It is a completely random amount, especially as we would never agree to 200 pounds a week when we are entitled
to 225 pounds a week. We never received any official offer from the landlord either regarding the rent abatement of 200. How do we stand in this matter? Should we stick to claiming 225 pounds or just give up and agree to the 200 pounds?
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are 3 people living the property, me, my partner and my sister. Me and my partner has been sleeping in the living room these past 15 weeks. Furthermore, the apartment is based in London.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I would be minded to stick to the £225.00 and put the landlord's agent to stick proof of any agreement of £200.00. The fact being from what you have written that they can not prove a different figure. It rather appears that they are simply looking to reduce the abatement figure.