Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Stuart, I sold a leasehold property in January 2015 and

Customer Question

HI Stuart, I sold a leasehold property in January 2015 and my solicitor obtained up to date accounts from the management company which showed nothing outstanding. AS the new service charge bill was due in January my solicitor agreed a £200.00 retention against the premium, so that they would have enough to pay my bit of the premium up to the completion date and then have a refund. Now the management company have said they have finalised the accounts for March 13 and there are arrears and are refusing the register the new lessee because of the arrears. Am I going to have to pay them for that and the year ending March 14 and March 15. What are my rights?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
I am afraid that you will usually be liable for the accounts for that period as you were the owner at that time. You should check the exact wording of the retention clause which your solicitor entered into with the buyer but the expectation would be that you would be liable. But the wording will be key.
I hope that this helps