Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

We are in a AST on a rolling monthly basis. Our shower was

Customer Question

We are in a AST on a rolling monthly basis. Our shower was leaking and it took 3 and a half months for the letting agency to send someone to see it. He ended up making a gaping hole in the wall and said a new shower needs to be fitted. We do not having any alternative washing facilities such as a bath so we can't wash ourselves for the past 3 days. We are getting nowhere with the letting agency and are going to withhold our rent early next week if no progress is made. Can the letting agency serve a Section 8 notice on us under these circumstances?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
In answer to your question yes they can. Where there is a withholding of the rent they can serve a s.8 notice. But it does appear that you have a claim for compensation. I would give them a very short time - next day or so to repair the shower or threaten to get your own plumber to do the work. I would also set out in writing a claim for compensation.