Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I purchased my house 20 yrs ago and have driven across highways

Customer Question

I purchased my house 20 yrs ago and have driven across highways property to access/exit my garage and have parked up against my garage. I have now been told by council I cannot park there and must obtain a yearly licence to drive over their property... Is this correct or can I claim grandfather rites?
Regards
Paul
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will try and help
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.
a few questions (1) Did you buy your house more or less than 20 years ago - please be quite precise on the dates (2) have you ever been contacted by the council in the time about the road, even if not referring to having to purchase a licence? have they ever put sign up, etc regarding parking (3) does anyone else use the accessway? (4) do you own the freehold of the garage or lease it? (5) do you own the freehold of your property or do you lease it?