Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo

Customer Question

Hi Jo
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
My tenancy has ended on 09 may 2015 its AST. My land lord didnt deposit my deposit in tenancy deposit schemes. when asked she is reluctant to return the money. She claims that i had done subletting of property. I did with her consent but only verbal. will i be penalized with any penalities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually i got a lodger in, and i informed the land lord 1 year after getting her in to the property. Land lord is aware that she is living with us.As she is not deposited my deposit she is trying to find subletting as reason and claim compensation from me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo
i am an assured short hold tenant. my tenancy ended 10 days ago. I had checked out successfully. I just realized my land lord didnt deposit in any of the deposit schemes. i asked for deposit back. she is claiming that i had sublet the property and want to take me to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got a lodger while my tenancy was continuing. so my question is can she sue me for having a subtenant during my tenancy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i actually didnt sign any document with lodger , lodger didnt have any rights in the property.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if she can?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have permission from the landlord to have a lodger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
verbal but not writtern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she didnt deposit my deposit money in the deposit scheme.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well she may not have done but that isn't the entire issue here.
You do have a claim against her for up to 3 times the sum of the deposit although the practical reality is that you only really have a claim for the sum of the deposit. Whatever the law says on that point judges just do not grant more than that.
The difficulty here is that she says that you have been subletting unlawfully and without authority. Sadly, you don't have a written agreement to rebut that. If the court accepts her evidence on the point and then you will be liable to pay the landlord any sum that the court determines the sublets lodge paid you which could be a good deal more than the sum of your deposits and you do have to bear that in mind before axing.
Given the risks here, if she is willing to return your deposit to you then it would be very dangerous to sue her for additional compensation. If she is not willing to do that then the risk is one that you would have to take.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have one writtern email which she states that i had informed her when she moved in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after tenancy ending and there is no deposit protected its a breach of law, i may have breached the contract term only if proved but she breached the law.i spoke to shelter and my deposits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has taken the person who was my lodger as a main tenant now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was advised its the damages that are taken into consideration while giving judgement.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Informing her is not getting permission I'm afraid.
If shelter have told you anything different from the above then that is wrong.
She may be in breach of the law but she is saying you have been subletting which carries the greater risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was also told by landlords.org.uk that its not a housing benefit that i am living on .so its the damages that are in question about dispute.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is a nonsense I'm afraid.
Not quite sure what they mean