Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Found this blog very useful. Situation is, I took out a

Customer Question

Hi, found this blog very useful. Situation is, I took out a 20 years lease on a shop 6 months ago. I paid £10,000 upfront for the lease, with £5,000 being paid on monthly instalments. I'm 2 months in arrears on the rent and the landlord wants to evict me without any refund whatsoever. Contract appears to allow this! Anything in common law to protect me? Seems very unfair.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. Does your lease contain a forfeiture clause allowing to evict because of this? Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it does
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks. Do you mean that you paid a premium (effectively a purchase price) of £10, 000.00 in order to get the landlord to grant you the lease and have then since paid rent of £5000 per month?Did you also give a deposit?Did you instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf?Kind regards,Tom