Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Estate agent took deposit of £1500 which was later stolen by

Customer Question

Estate agent took deposit of £1500 which was later stolen by a member of staff who faced the courts. The deposit was never protected.This was in 2009. When recently asked about the deposit the estate agent explained about the theft and then issues a deposit certificate.He also said you can take me to court if you like for compensation but its a waste of time as he has successfully defended two other cases where the money was stolen
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
I would take him to court.I would take him to court in negligence because if he has (which he has) admitted that he has successfully defended two other cases where money was stolen, clearly, he should be vetting his staff better.Of course, regardless, he’s going to say that he will defend it and he would be successful because he’s not going to say that he’s been to court twice before and lost! He’s going to do everything that he can to put you off.I’m not certain whether that answers the question for you or not but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.