Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

why would NHBC refuse application for a certain terrace house

why would NHBC refuse application for a certain terrace house while other neighbouring terrace houses in the same block were approved for NHBC insurance? The development is only 6 year old and the site of the development was a former hospital site. I am in the process of buying the repossessed terrace house but the Local Authority Search has shown this refusal and my solicitor is struggling to find a reason for the refusal? This is delaying the contract exchange for the house and I am worried that I may lose the property to a higher bidder.

Neither NHBC nor Bellway have to disclose this information, even if they know.
It is a repossession and therefore the seller will have no information either
The first thing I would do would be to have a full structural survey on this property, because there may be a known problem with it.
The other thing to tell you is that if you’ve ever tried to put a claim through NHBC you will know that it is like trying to extract sugar from a lemon!
The other thing to consider is that there would only be four years left on the cover in any event.
I would speak to all the other people in the block and ask if they have any knowledge.
Ultimately, it is a case of caveat emptor (buyer beware) and you carrying out as many possible enquiries as you can. If you need a mortgage, the lender may not lend on it.
Can I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will I still need a structural survey if we get a satisfactory reason from NHBC or Bellway

That decision is up to you as always.
It is a good idea but not essential.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know you are not surveyor, but can the activity of the occupier of the house nullify NHBC insurance? If so do you have any ideas of the kind of activities?

The cert is granted at outset when property is new so shouldnt do.
They might have removed structural walls.