Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Is there a limit to the number of people that one is allowed

Is there a limit to the number of people that one is allowed to have living on a property with land. I am talking about a 20 acre patch, with 3 main buildings, 4 bedrooms, and land which is not visible by neighbors, in which we hope to place additional yurt/shepard huts (for which I believe you dont need planning permission), and possibly have longer term residents too.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.
Is there planning permission for this main building?
The basis of you been told that you don’t need planning permission for the residential hops that you propose?
Can we have the full background to what you propose please? Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The house will be owned by me. Its already an existing house in powys area. I basically want to know if there is any law that limits the amount of people that you can have living on a piece of land (22 acres) in yurts/caravans, in addition to a main house and holiday cottage outbuildings. (main house and holiday cottage outbuildings already there, as I say.)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

sorry, yurts and shephard huts that was meant to say.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

There is no legal
limit BUT you are going to need planning consent. Even a campsite, which only
has tents coming and going, needs planning consent.

The same applies to
a caravan site, which is being used for people to live in the caravans, even if
not permanently and even if people don't live in the caravans, it can then be
storage issue.

If you get planning
consent, the number will be set by the planning authority, based upon the
impact on the environment, access, noise, activities, et cetera.

Before proceeding
anywhere with this, the first thing I would do would be to speak to a specialist
planning consultant who has experience in rural matters and getting permission,
particularly for campsites/caravan sites and the like.

Planning
consultants have the ear and knowledge of the mind of how the local planning
officers work and in my experience over several applications, the money spent
is well spent.

Can I help further?

I
am off-line now until about 2 PM
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice