Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I have requested the address of the landlord from the managing

I have requested the address of the landlord from the managing agent but they have refused to provide it on the grounds we have now left the property. We wish to take them to court. What action can we take to force them to provide the information.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.
is the landlord's name on the land registry deeds?
Will they agreed to forward papers onto the landlord?
will they accept service of papers?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes the landlord is the full owner butvnow lives in australia. Assume they will accept those responsibilities although nothing in writing.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

Although there is nothing legally to stop you suing him in
Australia, even if you get a judgement, how you are you going to enforce it?

What address is there for him in the deeds?

what was the address on the tenancy agreement?

How much are you suing him for?

Can I have as much background detail as possible please? Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The address is c/o the managing agents, but no australian address. We dont know what address is registered in the property deeds, but it may be even the house they rented to us which was occuppied bybthe landlord until about 18 months ago. The tennancy agreement shows the landlords name c/o the managing agent and the amanging agent handles all the lanlors affairs.
We are suing for having had to pay for boiler repairs £1400. about a year ago and the landlord refusing to pay. We left the property 2 months ago.
We have plenty evidence we wer instructed to organise a plumber by the managing agent, but as was a shorthold 6 momths agreemnt felt powerless to take matters too far due to threat of eviction?

The agent suggest going via the ombudsman butbi fear this is for his own advantage not ours. Wo should we sue the agent, the landlord in australia ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The landlord still owns the property we rented and assumed he couldnt escape county court by living in australia? Assume the property is registered to him at his uk address ie the property we rented off him. The property is still being rented out to another via the same agent.

Also would point the offending boiler has now been replaced for the latest tennants!
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 months ago.

Thank you.

In that case, the last known address is the agents and you can
serve documents on him c/o the agents and the agents can have the problem of
getting in touch with him.

It is not uncommon for landlords to have the property address is
the addressing the deeds. If you want to be certain, and get the deeds here by
paying just 3 pounds.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

I think it highly unlikely that it would reveal an Australian
address.

The agent is the agent of the landlord but the agent has no
liability in this respect and you are faced with suing the landlord. If he does
not attend the hearing or get solicitors to attend, you will get default
judgement.

There are certain practicalities in suing someone who doesn't
live in the country but ultimately, to enforce the judgement if he does not
pay, you could probably get a charging order to register a charge against the
property which would mean that you would get paid if ever he came to sell it or
remortgaging it.

Can I help further?

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice