Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My neighbour has a right of way over my drive for delivery

My neighbour has a right of way over my drive for delivery of oil to his central heating tank, and for postman to post letters,
How wide is a right of way?
He also uses my land as of 3 months ago to put his refuse bins on as he has a right of way he said,
Any help please

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

You will need to check your Deeds to see if it defines the length/width of the right of way. If there is no definition or plan showing the right of way, and all it says is that your neighbour has a right of way over your drive, then he has a right to use the full width and length of your drive for the purpose of gaining access to his property.

Please note however, a right of way does NOT give him a right to use your land for any other purpose other than for gaining access. Therefore, he is certainly not entitled to put his bins on your drive!

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL