How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2662
Experience:  LLB (Hons) and 20 years legal experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bought a property (first floor maisonette) for our daughter

Resolved Question:

We bought a property (first floor maisonette) for our daughter to live in 1 and a half years ago when she was going to uni and we specifically asked the estate agent if the neighbourhood was safe and if there were any problems with the neighbours beneath the property,they assured us it was a quiet are and there were no issues with the neighbours. The vendor answered the relevant legal questionnaire the same stating no problems.Since our daughter has moved in she has been harrassed on several occasions and friends visiting her have been threatened.The police have been called several times and the council have been informed.It would seem that both the police and the council have known about this particular family being problems for a long time.In fact way before my daughter moved in as an officer stopped my wife in her car today to question her as he thought she had been visiting the neighbours below and not my daughter.Two months ago the police raided the property below looking for drugs and had to force entry.My question is do we have a legal right to sue the vendor and or estate agent for not disclosing the type of neighbour as we would not have bought the property had we known.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

You may have grounds to sue for misrepresentation. In a case called McMeekin v Long [2003] All ER (D) 124, a seller had to pay £67,500 in damages to a buyer for misrepresentation.

The sellers had said on the Seller’s Property Information Form that they did not know about any disputes and had not received any complaints about neighbours. When the buyers moved in they discovered that while the sellers had owned the property, they had been involved in disputes about access and rubbish dumping ie problem neighbours.

The sellers argued that the disputes had been resolved. However the judge ruled in favour of the buyers. He said the questions on the form were so simple to understand and the disputes so obvious, that it was "impossible to conclude other than that [the sellers] must have known that they were not being truthful when they answered those two questions"

So, in principle, your daughter could sue for breach of contract based on misrepresentation. Bear in mind, however, that she would have to prove that the problem with the neighbour existed when the Property Information Form was completed and the seller knew or must have known about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Alex thank you for responding so promptly.In your opinion would documented police visits and the fact that the tenants in question were already on the radar of the local authority for criminal and nuisance behaviour be evidence enough to back up our claim as from our conversations with the local police/council liaison officer this matter has been going on for many years,also could the vendor argue that because they personally did not have any issues that they did not have to disclose this.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The evidence from the police and council is crucial to prove that this problem has been going on for some time and the seller must have known about it.

The form asks the question whether there has been a problem or dispute " the property or a property nearby..."

If the problem neighbours have been known to the police for some time I think it would be implausible that the seller did not know about them. Thus the 'problem or dispute at the property or property nearby' should have been disclosed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you just one more question ,is there a maximum time period to pursue legal action?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I hope the information was helpful. Please do remember to rate my answer so that I am credited for my time. Regards, Alex.
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2662
Experience: LLB (Hons) and 20 years legal experience
Alice H and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help Alex.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. Thank you for your custom. Please do come back to me if you need any further help with this. Alex

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981