Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Hi there I currently own 70% of a shared ownership property

Hi there

I currently own 70% of a shared ownership property and have begun the process to buy out the remaining share.

I know there are restrictions on subletting shared ownership properties, but my understanding was that on buying out the property i.e. becoming 100% owner, this would no longer be 'shared ownership property' and I would be able to rent out the property just like any other. I have just recently heard people mention that this is not an automatic right, though. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your help.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

What you have been told is correct, it is not an automatic right.

What exactly does your shared ownership lease say regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have asked the housing association for a clarification but the only clause we can find is this:

'Not to underlet or part with possession of part only of the Premises and not otherwise than by way of mortgage to underlet the whole of the premises'.

What does this mean?

Also I thought this would only be applicable in a shared ownership i.e. less than 100% ownership situation.

If this does have effect, we are also applying for a lease extension at the moment, so can we request that, provided we staircase up to 100%, this restriction be removed?

many thanks again.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

It means literally what it says.

You cannot rent a bedroom out (part with possession of part only
of the premises) and you cannot let the whole of the property out (and assured short
hold tenancy) but you can remortgage or mortgage it.

Sometimes there is a provision within the stair casing where the
covenants such as this no longer apply but as it is at the moment, even if you
own 100% you can still not sublet.

Once you have 100% and you apply for a lease extension, by all
means ask for the covenant to be lifted but the landlord is under no duty to do
so.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.

Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice