How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  LLB (Hons) and 20 years legal experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a contracting firm doing work on properties for

This answer was rated:

I work for a contracting firm doing work on properties for letting agent reeds&rains.i found asbestos tiles in poor condition and they needed to be removed,my boss tried to get me to carry out the work by lying about the initial analysis results,ignored my advice to have it removed by licensed contractors i overheard a conversation about a fellow employee removing them.i stupidity drove to the property to enquire with the tennants who confirmed this and I told them my concerns the work was not done by a licensed contractor.i tried to contact the Hse by phone and the lines closed for weekend so I've reported things by the online forms I don't know what to do next and worried ive gone around this the wrong way telling the tennants,I'm not going back to work for an employer who can sleep at night knowing the facts then putting a family and employee's health potentially at risk,what is the best thing to do?
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

How long have you been employed by this company?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Alex I've worked at express home services from 6th July 2012 till fri 11th oct 2013
Thanks. I am preparing an answer for you and will post back shortly.
Thanks for your patience.

You should be protected under whistle blowing laws. Basically an employee who 'blows the whistle' on an employers illegal activity or reports health and safety breaches cannot be dismissed for doing so. If the employee is dismissed then he is entitled to claim compensation for 'unfair dismissal'.

The report should usually be made to the employer, perhaps via HR, but if there is a risk the employer will try and cover up the problem then the report can be made to a 'prescribed body' such as the Health and Safety Executive.

Apart from approaching the tenant, which is understandable but should have been avoided, you appear to have taken the right steps. I suggest you follow up your report to the HSE and they will conduct an investigation to decide whether any laws have been broken.

If your employer dismisses you for your actions you should make a claim for unfair dismissal and claim compensation. On the facts that you've outlined it appears that you would have grounds to do so.

Alice H and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you