How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have to replace windows with fire exit windows in an existing

Resolved Question:

Do I have to replace windows with fire exit windows in an existing and rented out house (2 upstairs bedrooms)? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know if I am legally required to replace the two bedroom (both?) windows upstairs with fire exit windows and if I do indeed need fans and automatic doors in a bathroom so it doesn't spoil food in the kitchen next door. The house is mid terrace, over 100yrs old, in good condition, been rented out for about 5 years with two bedrooms to two people (hence not HMO). Building regs all seem to apply to new builds. Could you specify what exactly you need more info on please as I seem to be repeating myself. Thanks.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Has the tenant raised this or the council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the council came round inspecting the place to make sure it wasn't an HMO and raised it to me afterwards. Gave me a three month deadline to get it sorted.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

Unless these are replacement windows, installed
after 1 April 2002, they do not have to be opening.

The same applies to the bathroom, it does not
have to have ventilation unless it was recently upgraded (within the last 10

If it's a house in multiple occupation, the
situation is different and the local authority can dictate.

This appears not to be the case.

I think what the local authority have done with
you is dressed up what are actually "advisory" matters, as mandatory matters.


My suggestion would be to write back to the
Council and asked them to point out which section of which act or which
regulation you are needed to comply with in order to do this work. You want to
check the regulation to make sure that it is done satisfactorily!

I would see what they come back with before I do
anything because based upon the facts that you have given me, you are under no
obligation to do this work.

However I will tell you that as he does now been
brought to your attention, if you do not change the windows, and someone gets
injured or killed in a fire you could face jail for criminal negligence.

In a slightly different way, with the ventilation
and the lack of, if this leads to the formation of any kind of mould or fungus
and anyone has asthma or breathing difficulties or any other problems as a
result, you can now be held negligent once again, because the issue has been
raised with you and you have chosen to ignore it.

Choice therefore is yours as to whether you
ignore this or do the work.

Remember, I can only answer based upon the facts
you give me.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot for your advice, the bathroom won't be a source of mould etc as it does actually have a window that opens. I think a fire exit upstairs is a reasonable idea but not to the specifications the council ask for...

Thanks again, helps me proceed and see more sense in the issue.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981