How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i share a 60 metre x 2 metre high grade 2 listed boundary wall

Resolved Question:

i share a 60 metre x 2 metre high grade 2 listed boundary wall with a neighbour. this was in a poor state of repair and had become dangerous. the neighbour got listing buildings consent approval to demolish and replace the wall. the only constraint i can find on the approval is that the work had to commence within 3 years of approval being granted which was at beginning of last month - i.e no 'to be completed by' date.
3/4 of the wall has now been demolished and foundations removed. my garden is now entirely open along this length with a 3 foot ditch where the foundations had been and protected only on my side by some metal fencing panels along the length of the garden. i am entirely overlooked by the neighbour - a hotel.
i originally understood that there was a slight hold up pending approval from english heritage of the bricks to be used in the re-build.
however i now understand that the hotel is closing at the endof this month and notice has been given to all staff.
my question is what can i do to ensure the wall is rebuilt within a reasonable period of time.?
i understand that if the property is sold the onus of /liability for the rebuild will rest with the new owners but what can i do to influence the timescale?
i believe the rebuild cost was circa £60k.
it seems amateurish of the council not to have mandated a date for completion of the work?
what can i do or press the council to do to enforce completion?
it is wholly unacceptable that i now have a complete breach along one side of my boundary.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
you said that you share the wall.
is it jointly owned or does the hotel own it?
why are you not contributing towards the cost of it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i share in the context that is a party wall.

the hotel own it.

responsibility for its upkeep rests wholly with the hotel

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

The situation with the wall is not favourable for you. I will

I have to ignore the listed element of the wall which is not a
matter for you put a matter for the local authority and any heritage
organisations involved. They are the ones that will enforce the rebuilding of
the wall by the hotel.

The wall is the hotel responsibility under the hotel's gone into
liquidation, it then becomes the responsibility of whoever buys the hotel.

So, leaving the fact that the wall is listed to one side (no pun
intended) I am just going to deal with the issue of the wall and its
nonexistence and present.

The wall is owned by the hotel on your own admission. They have no
liability or onus to keep the wall in place, because they may actually prefer
it with no warning place! It is different if the structure is dangerous, they
are under a duty to make it safe and if that involves removing it completely
and they are happy with the results, then they can do that.

The fact that you may like their wall being there is immaterial. The
fact that it may have removed your security is of no concern to them which is
obviously of concern to you.

You cannot compel them to put up another wall except with regard to
the fact that the wall is listed, when it will be dealt with by the local

I'm sorry, I appreciate this is not the answer you wanted but there
is no point in me misleading you. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and
honestly, even if the answer is unfavourable

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make sense.
It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.


i understand there are two issues.

i had just about got there myself on my personal view on hotel wall.

but the question remains that as it is a listed wall, what powers of enforcement do the local council/english heritage have?

given that there is no 'to be completed by date' on the approval decision.

technically the hotel have complied with the decision in that they have demolished what was a dangerous structure and have commenced the work within the prescribed timescale. i.e inside 3 years of planning approval.

if the authorities have no power of enforcement, conceivably the wall may never be rebuilt! is that a possible scenario?

if not what representations can i justifiably make to the auhorities to facilitate action/enforcement or are there no legal avenues open to me whatsoever?

these are the key questions..

additionally is it not naive/unacceptable that the council did not include any stipulation regarding work completion?


Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

The same thing applies here as does with planning
consent. It has to be started within five years in that case but there is no
timescale for completing it. Whoever drafted the legislation was clearly in no

If there is no timescale noted, then the time
period must be "reasonable".

Now whilst reasonable might not seem very
accurate (I agree) courts do like "reasonable" because it means that it is
completely open to interpretation by the court.

If this is in the backwoods way out beyond, then
a reasonable period might be two years. If it is in the middle of town or
adjacent to a highway, it could be a matter of months.

It is a supporting wall and there are other
issues to take into account such as retaining other land, it could be longer
and even years even if it is in a busy area.

So, you can see that there is no definitive
answer but I would think that in the circumstances months not years would be
appropriate and I would think that probably three months/6 months would not be

The local authority does have power of
enforcement because the wall is listed. If it was demolished with a view to
being rebuilt, or local authority can order it rebuilt. They had consent to
rebuild, not consent to remove. Ultimately, or local authority can enforce this
against the landowner and of the landowner has gone into liquidation, it is
enforceable against future landowners who will buy the property subject to
liability to rebuild the wall

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981