How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68217
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have signed a tenancy agreement to let a property

Resolved Question:


I have signed a tenancy agreement to let a property for a year, and at the moment I am the only person with their name on the lease. However the second room is being rented out by a colleague and contrary to what I thought would happen and her name go on the lease with mine, the Landlord has said it is fine for her to take the room and everything stay in my name. This makes me nervous as it leaves me very vulnerable to exploitation as I am the only one legally required to make rent every month. I would therefore like to draw up some sort of deed of trust or agreement that we can sign stating she will pay a certain amount each month plus contribute to the deposit and adhere to all the rules in the tenancy agreement she hasn't had to sign. Is there a way I can do this that will make it worth something if the worst was to happen? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Was the second room empty when you signed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.



Thanks for your response.


Yes it was empty but I did tell the landlord that I would need to find someone to take the second room if I took it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

In a nutshell, you are right. The original AST has been varied and he should bring that one to an end and sign a new AST naming both of you on the agreement.

However, the fact remains that he is not doing that and the question is what can be done about it. Ultimately you can't force him to comply with the law unless you seek an injunction which would be disproportionately expensive. You could refuse to let this person move in. You are currently entitled to occupation of the entire house under your AST and that will be lost if he moves another tenant in. I realise that you don't want to do that but it might force him to agree a variation.

In terms of deeds of trust, you don't need to incur the expense of that. As long as you gather some form of written evidence that this person agrees to pay the rent and otherwise comply then you can rely on that to sue her. I wouldn't suggest doing that but if thats what you are stuck with then thats what would have to be done.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for that.


I think the written agreement will be enough in this instance, it's not ideal as I would rather her name was on the lease with mine but we're due to move in Saturday so I'll have to draw up something quickly.


I guess the upside of this as well is, that if she refuses to sign the written agreement then I can not allow her to move in.


Thanks so much for your help, what I wanted to know crucially is that a written agreement is enough to hold up in a court of law if rent stops or she leaves without notice and if it does then I'm much happier, so thank you very much.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68217
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981