How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, Im a little unsure how best to proceed. We live in a mid-terrace (4 ho

Customer Question

Good morning, I'm a little unsure how best to proceed. We live in a mid-terrace (4 houses in total) and have, according to our deeds "full right and liberty for the Purchaser and their successors in title owners or occupiers for the tim,e being of the said premises and their undertenants and servants at all times and for all purposes to pass and repass over and along so much of the back passage or way..." (leading from our house to the road).

My neighbour currently blocks our access with their vehicles, making it impossible to pass our wheelie bin through and any bikes etc from our rear shed. They have refused to move their vehicles and have said that the access is 'pedestrian only' and also that they have allegedly 'checked this out'. I am at a loss what to do - having made a friendly request, it has been met with what I can only describe as vitriol. I appreciate deeds etc would need to be scrutinised by an expert, but how costly might this be? Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have the right that you have quote then you have a legal easement over the passageway. This means that it cannot be obstructed by others, including anyone who is actually the registered proprietor of the passageway.

If your neighbours are blocking this accessway then you have a legal right to enforce against them. Which you can do, although it can be quite time-consuming.

In the first instance I would write to your neighbour referring to your right and giving examples of the behaviour that you consider breaches the right. State that they should modify their behaviour in specific stated ways so that you can access it. State that if they do not do this then you shall instruct a solicitor with a view to obtaining an injunction against them to cease this behaviour. Also, be sure to outline the aggressive behaviour that you have mentioned.

If they do not cease the behaviour then you should see a local solicitor for a consultation, taking along the registered title for your property, a plan/map and examples of their behaviour. They solicitor will confirm that you have this right and you can then instruct them to write a letter before action to them stating that they are instructed to issue court proceedings if they do not stop their obstructions.

If they do no stop their behaviour then you will have to issue proceedings.

It should cost less than £100 + VAT to have a half/hour consultation and for a solicitor to send a letter before action to them.

If you instruct a solicitor to issue proceedings and act for you in an injunction application then it would cost upwards of £400.00, but you can act by yourself and get your solicitor to simply refer you to the relevant forms and get you started which will be much, much cheaper.


Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Tom, very much appreciated - extremely helpful and very much appreciated.


Kind regards


Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: