Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My landlord decided to make repairs to the roof. during this,

My landlord decided to make repairs to the roof. during this, the ceiling in my room caved in at which point the builders went into my flat WITHOUT my permission. The managing agent is now taking their time into resolving this issue. What are my rights as a tenant? Thanks
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If the landlord has instructed managing agents then it is important to remember that they act for the landlord. They do not act for you. It may appears as if they are mediating the dispute sometimes, but they always have the landlord’s requirements close to heart.

Under your tenancy you have a right to quiet enjoyment. However, the landlord is obliged to keep the structure of the property in repair under s11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act:-
a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,
(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and
(c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.

If it is the case that the landlord was carrying out repair works and this resulted in the roof to your ceiling in your room caving in then you could conceivably sue them for breach of contract on the basis of reduced amenity if you were not able to use the room.

Usually, you would posture to make a claim and end up agreeing a form of rent reduction in order to compensate you for the amenity that you lost for the period that you were not able to use the room.

As to entering your room, the landlord may be able to argue that this was a case of entry under emergency in order to execute works to re-repair the roof in order to comply with his obligation to keep the property in repair as above.

You may consider this to be a breach of privacy, which to some extent is a right under the human rights act but really it has to be balanced with other legal rights and obligations. IN this case the landlord’s obligation to ensure repair under the above statute probably outweighs the minor invasion of privacy.

If you want to get something out of it then I would attempt to negotiate a reduced rent on the basis of loss of amenity.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to RATE my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom

Kind regards,

Tom