How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68197
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, We have rented a furnished flat however after moving

Resolved Question:

Hello, We have rented a furnished flat however after moving in we noticed that most of the furniture within the house are either broken and unusable or need repair. I have notified the landlord several times either by email or in person however after about two months they have not contacted me to carry out the repair jobs. I was wondering if you could help me with this issue and if there is any way to force them to carry out the repairs. In our contract it is stated that the landlord is responsible for the repairs.
Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this just stuff like armchairs?

Are any of the white goods failing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The microwave and heater not working, Sofa legs are broken so is almost unusable, blinds are ripped apart and also can not be closed/opened, but my main concern is that the toilet is leaking and I am sure is from the sewage pipe (because of the smell that is causing) which would affect our health.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

You can certainly take action of the toilet. Just report it to Environmental Health at the local council. They will inspect and if they find it as you say they will issue him with an improvement notice and if he doesn't act do the work themselves and recover from him.

The heating would probably offend as well.

The other matters are more of an issue for the civil courts but, in principle, you do have a right to furniture that can be used.

You can either do the work yourself and sue for the cost or withhold from rent. You do need to serve notice upon him of your intention to do so before acting though to protect yourself.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX somewhere that unless it is stated in the contract it is illegal to withhold from rent. If I decided to do the repair myself do I need to contact a lawyer and do it through them or can I just notify them in writing and do the repairs myself?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Oh yes, you cannot normally withhold rent to punish a landlord.

Its not something I would normally suggest anyway. Normally its better to sue for the cost but obviously not everybody can afford to do that.

In a situation like this its generally justified on the basis that since the landlord owes you money for conducting the repairs, his claim against you for rent arrears would be cancelled out by the time it got to court.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68197
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Just to be clear, in this case and because I can not afford to sue the landlord I can withheld rent until the repairs are done and if he takes the matter to court I will be able to prove that my action is justified?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, you can't do that. It doesn't work that like. That is just holding the landlord to ransom which is unlawful.

What you can do though is do the repairs yourself and then withhold that exact sum to compensate yourself.

He could try to sue for rent arrears but then you would have a disrepair claim.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981