Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

I have entered an assured shorthold tenancy for a period

I have entered an 'assured shorthold tenancy' for a period of six months. My circumstances have changed dramatically, and only 3 weeks in I would like to end this tenancy. What do I do, and can I get out of having to pay rent for the duration of the six months? I've read through the agreement, and I see no mention of a break clause. Thank you for your help.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I'm afraid that unless there is a break clause (which is highly unlikely in a 6 month agreement) then you are liable to pay the 6 months rent even if you vacate before the end of the 6 month tenancy.

However, most Landlords will allow you to vacate early and let you off any remaining rent PROVIDED they can find a replacement Tenant and you pay for the rent up to the date the new Tenant moves in as well as paying for any admin fees incurred by the Landlord in finding and securing a new Tenant.

Unless you know of any other person who is looking for a property to rent, you are best to ask the Landlord to try and find a replacement Tenant for you.

I am sorry this is perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards