Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

My freeholder has not requested ground rent payment since 2010,

My freeholder has not requested ground rent payment since 2010, nor payment towards the block building insurance policy. I am in a position where I need to obtain a copy of the current insurance policy for a mortgage application. Will the freeholder be entitled thereafter to recover all oustanding payments that they have not previously billed us for, as I am assuming that this will be raised!

Many thanks
Emma
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
Have you raised this with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not discussed with the freeholder yet; I wanted to establish our position before speaking with them.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

In a nutshell, yes, the freeholder will.

In addition, the freeholder would have had to give consent to any
transfer, if ever you came to sell the property and this would have cropped up
then.

In the lease, it is usual for there to be no requirement on a landlord
to demand the rent or insurance and is and it is an obligation of the
tenant/leaseholder to volunteer the payments. I appreciate that you cannot
volunteer the payments unless you know what they are in respect of the insurer
and is but nonetheless, that is the situation.

I am sorry, I appreciate that this is probably not the answer you
wanted but I have a duty to advise you truthfully, and honestly, even if that
answer is unfavourable.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further or answer any
specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.

Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice