Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Hi my neighbour is building an extension (with planning permission)

Hi
my neighbour is building an extension (with planning permission) which is facing my rear garden and a large downstairs window looks straight onto our garden and outdoor eating area. Are they contravening any planning laws with regard to our privacy
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

How high is your current fence? Why do you not wish to put up a higher one?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the current fence is old and broken about 4ft high.it was the planning dept that suggested that a high fence would be the solution when I complained about the window facing straight onto our garden affecting our privacy.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry, I misunderstood. the fence would have to be over about 2m high to block out the window and I am unhappy about that as well as the extension in general. I just thought it must contravene planning regs to build with a large window overlooking into a neighbours garden.and if so i wanted legal confirmation before I go back to complain to the planning dept

There is nothing illegal about
the window. For example, many houses (mine included) I can see into the
neighbour's garden from my bedroom and vice versa.

Indeed, any house which has
windows at the back will be able to see into the garden of the next-door house.
It is impossible to build a house (unless it is in the middle of nowhere) when
it doesn't lock onto something.

It really is a matter of scale
and how close the properties are together. What you can do is ask for the
window to be opaque glass.

Remember that if they can see
into your property, you can see into theirs so they are probably just as
concerned about this as you are.

As well as the opaque glass which
may not be practical in the living room, it could be made a condition of the
planning application that they put a fence up.

This should all have been dealt
with at planning application stage by way of your own objection

Does that assist you at all? I am
happy to clarify any particular points

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice