Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

My landlord is refusing to pay temporary relocation accommodation

My landlord is refusing to pay temporary relocation accommodation costs for the ten days we have to move out due to several essential repairs.
The builder says the house needs to be entirely sealed off (doors all the way down the stairs, through four storey townhouse) due to large quantities of very fine dust being created.
The landlord says the dust will be minimal and there are plenty of rooms to stay in.
We have waited four months (since moving in) for these repairs to be organised and were previously told verbally that the expenses would be covered. We have paid full rent despite inconvenience and ill health (I'm asthmatic and only rented the house under the false assurance that the damp problem was already solved).

I'd be very grateful for any advice please. We are working through an agent, not directly to the landlord.

Thanks very much.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click RATE once you get my answer.

If the builder has provided clear expert advice then you should get this in writing. You should show this to the agents and advise them that if this is not resolved then you will take the matter to court to seek the costs of moving for this period of time and that this would likely cost more than having the matter amicably resolved. You may also wish to check if his insurance covers the problem