How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32940
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord is refusing to pay temporary relocation accommodation

This answer was rated:

My landlord is refusing to pay temporary relocation accommodation costs for the ten days we have to move out due to several essential repairs.
The builder says the house needs to be entirely sealed off (doors all the way down the stairs, through four storey townhouse) due to large quantities of very fine dust being created.
The landlord says the dust will be minimal and there are plenty of rooms to stay in.
We have waited four months (since moving in) for these repairs to be organised and were previously told verbally that the expenses would be covered. We have paid full rent despite inconvenience and ill health (I'm asthmatic and only rented the house under the false assurance that the damp problem was already solved).

I'd be very grateful for any advice please. We are working through an agent, not directly to the landlord.

Thanks very much.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click RATE once you get my answer.

If the builder has provided clear expert advice then you should get this in writing. You should show this to the agents and advise them that if this is not resolved then you will take the matter to court to seek the costs of moving for this period of time and that this would likely cost more than having the matter amicably resolved. You may also wish to check if his insurance covers the problem
Thomas Judge and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions