Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

My landlord has authorized a person to come into my rented

My landlord has authorized a person to come into my rented property unannounced and without due notice and removed the mattress from the main bedroom. After much complaining and 2 days later we received a replacement mattress that was quite filthy. It is different to the mattress on the inventory list and not fit for purpose as it's stained, smells and dirty.

I have returned the mattress to the agent and refused to accept. the agent said this is the only mattress they can offer, although highly unlikely I was willing to accept it IF they send it to a cleaning service.

This seems like intentional harassment - what are my option to be compensated, receive the correct mattress etc?

Thanks for your question. Please remember to click RATE once you get my answer.

This is clearly unacceptable behaviour. They are also potentially in breach of contract if the property rented included certain items in it including this mattress. I would write to the landlord setting out that you want the issue resolved within 24 hours failing which you will seek compensation in the small claims court