How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32928
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

backing out of a tenancy before start date. No monies have

This answer was rated:

backing out of a tenancy before start date. No monies have been paid.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.

Strictly speaking you have entered into a contract with them for the duration and money. That said if you can not move in then they will need to re-let the property to mitigate any losses - you would normally be liable potentially for any losses sustained in them re-letting. So you should speak with them to ensure that they try and re-let immediately and agree a figure with them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This isnt very helpful I'm afraid. I've asked for my legal position as a tenant who signed but backed out the next day and did not pay any monies at all.


Can the landlord take us to court and try to get money from us?

Sorry I was trying to give you the options. Yes the landlord can take you to court to recover their losses. You have entered into a contract with them and they are entitled to recover their losses against you and they can take you to court to do this if matters can not be agreed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. If they take me to court and this is my situation, can they get any money out of me:


I am a single mum with two young children. I am in an IVA debt agreement.

I do work full time and earn 45k however I have to support the children and I do not have any disposable money per month so even if they tried to sue for losses, realistically I would only be able to give them about GBP20 per month.




If they obtain a judgment then you could apply to the court to pay by instalments. The court was ask to to show your incomings/outgoings and basically see what you can afford. If it is £20 per month then this may well be a suitable resolution. I have seen people pay less

Please RATE
Thomas Judge and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions