Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

backing out of a tenancy before start date. No monies have

backing out of a tenancy before start date. No monies have been paid.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.

Strictly speaking you have entered into a contract with them for the duration and money. That said if you can not move in then they will need to re-let the property to mitigate any losses - you would normally be liable potentially for any losses sustained in them re-letting. So you should speak with them to ensure that they try and re-let immediately and agree a figure with them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This isnt very helpful I'm afraid. I've asked for my legal position as a tenant who signed but backed out the next day and did not pay any monies at all.

Can the landlord take us to court and try to get money from us?

Sorry I was trying to give you the options. Yes the landlord can take you to court to recover their losses. You have entered into a contract with them and they are entitled to recover their losses against you and they can take you to court to do this if matters can not be agreed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. If they take me to court and this is my situation, can they get any money out of me:

I am a single mum with two young children. I am in an IVA debt agreement.

I do work full time and earn 45k however I have to support the children and I do not have any disposable money per month so even if they tried to sue for losses, realistically I would only be able to give them about GBP20 per month.

Thanks

Angela

If they obtain a judgment then you could apply to the court to pay by instalments. The court was ask to to show your incomings/outgoings and basically see what you can afford. If it is £20 per month then this may well be a suitable resolution. I have seen people pay less

Please RATE